How to Shop a Kroger Mega Event

What is a Mega Event?

A mega event is a promotion that Kroger does several times a year. Unlike typical 10 for $10 sales, you MUST purchase the quantity of items specified in that particular promo in order to receive the mega sale discount. For example, “Buy 10 participating items, Get $5 off instantly”. You must purchase in increments of 10 in order to receive the additional $0.50 off per item. You can mix and match these items and receive the discount as long as you purchase in multiples of 10 in the same transaction.

Here’s what the ad will look like. When you see this, start to get really excited because you’re about to save a LOT of money! :) The ad will outline the price BEFORE mega sale discount, and also after. I always just pay attention to the bottom number.

Here is an example of a mega event sale tag. Notice there is a “sale price” of $1.49, and then a 2nd price of $0.99  if you purchase 10 participating items.

The mega discount will come off immediately at checkout when the item is scanned. Typically you will see a participating item marked on the receipt with a < + symbol.

Not all participating mega sale items will be advertised in the sale ad. There are almost always tons more items that will just be identified by in-store signage, so be on the lookout for those mega sale tags!

Tips on Keeping Track of Items While Shopping

Since it’s very important to keep track of how many mega items you are purchasing so that you don’t miss out on the extra discount, you’ll need a system. There are many ways to keep track of your mega items, but I’ll give you a few tips. What the picture above shows is my current method. As soon as I walk in the store, I take a few of my reusable shopping bags, open them up and place them inside my cart. I then place all my mega sale items in the bags as I shop.

Once your bag contains 10 items, you close it up! No more hiding in the last aisle at Kroger counting 50 items!

If I don’t plan on getting too crazy, I will reserve one bag for non-mega sale items. Or you can throw non-megas in the bottom of your cart. (great idea Carrie!)

Or, if you’re really diligent about keeping track of items that enter your cart, you can do the old fashioned tally system on your shopping list. Do what works for you…just make sure you keep track! You do NOT want to get through checkout just to realize you counted wrong. If this DOES happen, you have a couple of options.

Scenario #1: You’re counting mega sale items as you put them on the belt at checkout and only count 48 items. If you know what other 2 items you want to grab, just have the cashier ring up 2 extra of that item and go get them off the shelf AFTER you checkout.

Scenario #2: You don’t catch the mistake until after you checkout, maybe even after you get home. Just go pick up any extra mega sale items that you need and take them along with your receipt to the customer service desk and they will make it right.

Reward Limits

Sometimes there are limits to how many mega items you can purchase in the same transaction, sometimes not. If no limit is advertised in the ad or on the sale tags, you may want to ask before you start shopping. If the limit is 5 rewards, that means you can purchase 50 items (if it’s a buy 10, save $5 sale). If you want to purchase more than that, you’ll need to separate your transactions (if permitted) or just come back another day.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions on how a mega sale works at Kroger. Feel free to leave a comment if there’s something I didn’t think of or if you have additional questions!

Oh, and one more thing…

Here’s what your face is going to look like as you marvel at your receipt when you get into your car! :)

2014 UPDATE: Check out my new video that walks you through the process!

Did you know?? You can have these great deals delivered directly to your inbox? Subscribe to my Daily Newsletter via email!! You can also subscribe by RSS feed, Facebook, Twitter !

Comments

1. I keep track of my Mega-Items on my grocery list. If I take 6 granola bars, I write number 6 next to that item and circle it. Then when I am done, I count everything that is circled and make sure I am in the correct multiples and add filler items if needed. It would be difficult for me to bag everything in my cart because sometimes my cart is overflowing! (I know, you’re thinking I’m a mustard hoarder haha!) And I don’t have to worry about mixing my non-mega items with my sale items.

2. Thanks Katie! I enjoyed watching your video this morning @ 4 am! Good way to start a very early morning…a few giggles, learned a few things and was able to see how much you save. PS Ive never bought Silk milk but I am going to try it for that price!

3. BETTY CRUMLEY says:

Love the Mega Sales- thank you for the bag trick I lose my cool a lot counting every time- now I have a way to control it.yay!!!

4. Alaina KY says:

Katie– I am kinda new to couponing and do not have a binder or envelopes yet (Have a little box, but haven’t quite figured out my method of separating coupons i’m using versus one’s i’ve decided not to use. I usually put the coupon with the item in the cart, that way when i put it on the belt at checkout, i grab the coupon and make a stack to hand to the cashier.
    with that said–you’ll appreciate the following story– i was buying the Angel soft a couple weeks ago for super cheap and I had put them on the bottom shelf of my cart, and because of my afroementioned method (coupon with item), the coupons were inbetween the packs of TP on the bottom of the cart. at some point during my shopping trip the coupons fell off my cart. i was walking through the aisles for 10 minutes trying to find my coupons. ACK!!! found them though, just sitting there, just like you camera case.

5. Love the video, very helpful!!

6. The bags works every time! I had to buy additional usable bags when I got the Kroger because I forgot some. They are $.99. Good investment. Also, while I was checking out I saw the “All You” magazine on sale at Kroger. I think they are branching out to other stores. I also noticed they sale them at Meijer. I would like to know if the magazine is sold in your stores. Katie, keep the videos coming. It was a very BIG help. Thank you again for your matchups.

7. Happymama says:

Me too Kim! Don’t you know I forgot my bags this week, and had 90sh items. Thankfully I didn’t have the kids. That’s my suggestion – leave kids at grandmas house lol.

8. After years of heckling me about using coupons for everything, my kids were transfixed by your presentation. They want to know who your cinematographer is.

9. I AM that woman standing in the greeting card aisle counting and recounting her mega event items LOL! I got snowed out from doing any mega event shopping today. :(

I will be taking the reusable shopping bags with me this week. I should be able to cut 15 minutes off my shopping trip. :)

Love your site. Thanks.

10. Totally love the “Bag Idea!” If I had a nickle for every time I was in Kroger’s and hiding in an aisle to recount my things, I’d have a jar full of nickles! Ha! Thanks again for the tip – I will be using it on future trips to Kroger!

11. Melissa Ray says:

I picked up $301.17 worth of groceries and only paid $158.89. I love Mega events, these are stock up prices. This mega event is great! I have a family of 6, so this goes along way!!! I don’t use the bag system, I just update my number on my note pad each time I add a participating item. Works great for me. Also this total includeing non mega event items like Beef that was on sale, so I think I did awesome!

12. Thanks for this tip! I obviously need it since, despite stopping in the aisle to recount several times, I still got 1 item above lots of 6 yesterday. Oh well, it was a good price anyway, so I won’t go back to make it right (thanks for letting me know I could tho!)

13. This is so awesome thanks … Ur hilarious too.

14. Mega Sales are great! Went last night and my total was $220.36, but only paid $118.12 for a savings of 46%. I live in Indiana and I have a problem with the difference in prices from one region to the next. I know that competition has a lot to do with it, but I sometime feel like we are paying a higher price so others can get a better deal. For example you had Kleenex for $.99. They were $1.19 at our store. Sometimes there will be a difference of as mush as $.50 difference in the prices. The idea of using the hand basket to keep count is great. I will be using it the next time. Your site is best and has saved us lots of money. Be proud of all you do to help us save each week.

15. That bag system would have so helped me yesterday when my Kroger was out of some things on my list and I had to improvise. Had a few Beginner mistakes yesterday. Thank you for this video and you make it easy to understand Thank you! Oh and Hilarious

16. I got 155.00 worth of groceries,laundry detergent,and razors for 72 bucks!

17. My kroger has the carts that have a little shelf/basket on the cart. I think it is to put things you don’t want smashed. I use this as my counter. All mega sale items go in there. When I get to 6/10 whatever the magic number is, those items go down into the main cart. Since I started this, I’ve not miscounted.

18. Angie Hobbs says:

Thanks for all you do! I like your idea of the reusable bags to keep track o your items. I always grab a handheld shopping basket and put it in my buggy. I put the mega event items in the basket until I get the number I need for the sale (usually 10). Once I get the number needed I just empty it into the buggy. The great thing about this method is the baskets are available at the store if you forget your reusable bags.

19. Nothing is coming up on the new video. Just a black box. Tried it several times. Headed to the Mega event in a few days. Hope to see it before I go. Thanks

20. Love your page! I always have an item in mind that I can add to my total just in case I have miscounted my mega sale items. That way I can just tell the cashier to add on how ever many I need to make my total right.

21. I never really shopped much at Kroger, after watching your videos and saving 71% on items in the mega sale I am now a Kroger shopper! Even though I could not get some of your posted sale items because of different prices.
    Thank you!

22. Awesome! Loved your video! My favorite Kroger site!

23. This is awesome so many people need to see hands on how to do it!!!! I love the time and effort you put fourth and want to thank you.

24. This may be a dumb question but can you use coupons with the mega sale items?

25. Kim Kenny says:

I LOVE the Mega sales!! It’s a great way to stock my pantry. To make sure that I buy in increments of 10, I just put a little tick mark on my grocery list every time I buy one of the items. As soon as it gets to 10, I start again. That way I don’t have to try to keep it all separate because I already know how many I’ve bought. BUT…..I sure wish our Kroger stores still did double/triple coupons :(

26. Thanks so much for the tips! These ideals will make my Mega shopping event much simplier. I’ve only done it maybe 3 times an I am one of those whom counts my selection 10 times to make sure I got the correct amount. Hahah! Makes me feel better to know I’m not the only one whom struggles keeping my number straight. Love your website just found it a few days ago an I am learning new tips already Thanks for sharing!!!!!

27. I’d tried the 10 items in the bag and it worked great! Thank you so much for the tip. I will continue to use.

28. Thanks so much for all you do. I know how how much time it saves me and I realize the time you must spend to make us so happy!!

29. What a great post! My sister has been bugging me to teach her how to coupon…This is a perfect teaching tool! Thank you for all you do!

30. On another hand, to the average Joe whose reputation online is mostly
    so he (or she) can land a better job, this SEO spamming is not likely to cause problems and might actually help.
    Now there’s two possibilities that can harm your interest here. After monitoring all of the possible information, you may realize one thing. This is simply because a business helps make enemies whether it manages to have got type of success at all. A blog can be another great way to have complete treatments for your message.

31. The intensity may feel merely like taking a walk, or it could feel like caught a
    track. Dieting and fat loss have the potential to become miserable experience, but it doesn’t necessarily need to be the case. Just like there are different types of shoes for each dance you will find typically a variety of dress that go along with each style.

32. Felicia says:

Atlanta: I’m cracking up over here – this is BY FAR the best write up I’ve seen re: Mega Event Sales…my fave? “No more hiding in the last aisle at Kroger counting 50 items!”. I laughed because I’ve done it a time too many!

Never thought about bagging the items as I go, nor the non-mega at bottom of cart. Thanks for the clever tips, I especially love the mEgA grin at the end!

33. thanks for the tip with the shopping bags! i’m always the lady in the cereal aisle counting boxes of cereal to get free milk or sorting through my groceries making sure i have enough items. i’m always terrified i will get to the checkout with not enough items LOL! i have 20 grocery bags, so i will use that technique now! thanks!!

34. Thank you so much for explaining this again for me. The first time I went and bought 14 items, I couldn’t understand what went wrong. I call the the store and a very sweet customer service lady explained it to me. Lesson learned. I am excited when we have a Kroger Mega Event. I found you about a month ago and wow, am I glad I did.

Happy shopping.

35. THANK YOU! I love the tip about using your reusable bags to keep track of your mega items! I always have used the tally system, but I always miscount somehow! Last time, I got to the car and looked at my reciept and realized what I had done, so in 18degree weather, I went back in and grabbed my 2 items, and walked back out of the store with $7 in my hand! So glad I noticed it! I will be using my reusable bags from now on!

36. If you don’t have your reuseable shopping bags with you…you can always use several of those black hand baskets to keep track of things. I also use one on the bottom of the cart for non mega items too. It’s a lot easier unloading the cart that way.

37. VictoriaF says:

I like Penny’s suggestion to use baskets better. Even my husband commented that it is not OK to bag items that have not been purchased yet, especially zipping them.

38. I also do as Penny suggested and use the hand carry baskets. I normally put on in the cart and one under the cart. I use the one on the bottom for my non-mega event stuff.

Although it can be a little time consuming, sometimes it is easiest to do seperate transactions, never buying more than 20 Mega-items at a time. It allows for better price checking. And with the new Catalina’s would allow you to roll them for a lower OOP.

39. Great ideas! You are awesome and I tell everyone about your site! You have saved us so much money! By the way I’m usually down the aisle recounting everything before I check out. Too funny!

40. I love your site I used to check like six diff ones as a young family of five moneys tight so ur site is the only one I use anymore you have saved my family not only a lot of money but also a lot of stress!!!!!

41. You just crack me up! Comical! Love it!

42. You have helped me out a lot since I shop those Mega sales at Kroger. My daughter pointed me to your sight and I love it. Thank you for getting it together for us all and the basket in the cart is a great idea for 10 items.

43. Thank you for explaining this – because I did NOT have it right – and was shopping this sale WRONG! :(
    But thanks to you, I won’t be anymore! (And neither will anyone that I know!)

44. I purchased 20 mega items. Looking at my receipt I only had 1 $5 reward. I took the receipt up to cust service and we noticed that one of my items was on manager’s special (Wholly Salsa). Once they saw that Wholly Salsa was on the mega sale – they gave me the $5 reward. Make sure you get your reward if some of your items are on manager special!

45. Love your site! I check your site several times a day during a mega sale!

46. Love love love your site and matchups!!! A HUGE thank you to you and everyone who works with you to get all of these together! One thing I’ve done for this event and others (Meijer does a buy 10 get the 11th item free sale) is to use a few of the store’s shopping baskets in the cart. I’ve put 2 baskets on the rack under the cart as well as on top in the seat to help keep things together and/or separated.

47. Thanks everyone for your positive comments! :) Susan, great idea! Somebody asked me about rainchecks the other day, so great point to add to this post.

48. Maybe you could add a follow up post to this regarding how you handle things when shelves have been cleared, getting rainchecks, etc.

49. When I shopped the other day I put my Mega Event items in the child seat of my buggy then when I had 10, I put them in the main basket. :)

50. If you are like me and feel like people think you are stealing everything you put in your reusable bag as you shop, just grab a couple of the little hand carry baskets and put them into your cart and off you go. Easy at the checkout because you can set the whole carry basket on the checkout counter. I love this web site and have made my co-workers coupon believers!!

51. Thank you for the tips and for all the work you do. I LOVE your site! Mega sales take a little more work but are so worth it. My husband usually goes with me shopping to help, and he has strict orders “no Megas go in the cart without letting me know”. First I make a list with how many of each I”m buying, put the corresponding coupons in an envelope. When I put a Mega item in my cart I put a hash mark line on the envelope. When I get to 10 I circle it. Usually works pretty well. I hate when they run out of something I have on my list, kind of messes me up, but I usually have “fillers” planned to make up the difference.

52. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome tips and I will make sure to share this with my co-workers/friends that will help them understand better how a Kroger Mega Event work. Again always love your blog and keep them coming! :)

53. Thanks so much for taking the time and putting this together for us!

54. Your explanations were so thorough and easy to understand. From all us novices out there, thank you for answering our questions. And I’m so doing the bag method today. I was trying to figure out how I’d keep my counts straight while making sure the babes were happy too :) Thanks again!

55. Thank you for all the work you put into making Krogering a fun and money saving experience!

56. Thank you for the tip! My first Mega shop (the other day), I had everything laid out on the pharmacy counter…. counting. (pharm was closed) My Kroger was out of a lot of things on my perfectly laid out list, so I had to regroup. This will work a LOT better. Thank you for all you do!

57. Stephanie says:

You are awesome! And funny! Love the last picture!!!